Lab Contact: Gemma Tombs
Research project on how Coventry University’s Lanchester Library learning spaces are used.
Associated Faculties, Schools and/or Course(s):
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities
- Faculty of Engineering, Environment and Computing
- Faculty of Health and Life Sciences
- Faculty of Business and Law
Research Findings to Date
- Student preferences for bright, creative, comfortable spaces, although students tended to prioritise use of distinct group working spaces over open spaces.
- Students at Coventry University took ‘ownership’ over certain spaces, forming habits and adapting practices within a few preferred areas rather than choosing study areas based upon ‘dictated’ educational practices.
- Thus learning spaces for the twenty-first century need to be adaptable, personable and pragmatic, facilitating technology use across all spaces and allowing students to disrupt educational spaces to suit their own needs